Match Reports

Senior League v Pearse Og 31/07/20

posted 4 Aug 2020, 15:49 by ballymacnab armagh


Pearse Og 0-8 Ballymacnab 0-10

The Ogs will look back on this game as one that got away. For long spells, Shane McConville’s men were in control of the contest, but just couldn’t make it count.

Having recorded five unanswered points to lead 6-4 at the break, two points was all they could rustle up in the second 30 minutes of action.

Some wayward shooting from the home side kept Ballymacnab in the game before Bernie Murray’s men pushed on in the second period to pick up maximum points.

Four half time substitutes turned the tide for Round Towers, and they were ahead within eight minutes of the restart.

Aodhan Toner clipped over three points on the night, two of which came early in the game and were beautifully executed from awkward angles.

Paul Duffy proved a real handful at full forward and was the vocal point of the Ogs attacking threat, grabbing their opening score and always being an option.

Pauric Gribben and Vincy Brady (45) traded points before the Ogs began to dominate the contest by controlling possession.

Shea Freeman, Paul Duffy (free), Anto Duffy and Conor Clarke (free) all raised white flags to take a two-point lead into the break.

The introduction of Michael Beagan, Ryan Kennedy and Brian McCone seemed to settle the men in maroon as they began to get to grips with the game.

Aodhan Toner and Grugan (two) helped their side take the lead before the Nab added another score to go ahead 0-8 to 0-6.

Marc Cullen chipped over a point from the dead ball before Michael Beagan struck a glorious effort to keep his side ahead.

The teams exchanged scores once again before Rory Grugan hit a crucial 65th minute point to bring his tally to 0-4 and most importantly, to secure a 0-10 to 0-8 win.

Team: Simon Hawkins, Colm McKee, Rúairí Gribben, James Gray, Ryan Watters, Ciaran Connolly (Capt), Chris Loughran, Rory Grugan (0-4), Paul Meegan, Pauric Gribben (0-1), Óisín McGivern, Aodhan Toner (0-3), Gavin McParland (0-1), Gareth Watters, Fearghal Nugent. Subs: Ryan Kennedy for C.McKee, Mickey O'Hare for S.Hawkins, Michael Beagan for P.Meegan, Brian McCone for O.McGivern, Jack Grugan for G.Watters, Óisín McGivern for R.Watters (Blood)

Senior League v Crossmaglen 24/07/20

posted 4 Aug 2020, 15:32 by ballymacnab armagh


Division 1A

Crossmaglen 0-7 Ballymacnab 7-9

You may need a second glance at the score line, but your eyes have not deceived you, and it is not a misprint.

Ballymacnab recorded seven goals past an inexperienced Crossmaglen team that were short several regulars on Friday evening, to pick up their first points of the season.

The O’Neill brothers, along with Callum Cumiskey, Paul Hughes and Stephen Morris offered Cross a strong spine, but on the wings, they were fairly new to this level of football.

Like last week, Stephen Kernan continued to blood some new talent into the Crossmaglen senior ranks while they await the return of Aaron Kernan, James Morgan, Kyle Carragher and Cian McConville, among others.

Jack Grugan shone brightest in the maroon colours and his four first half goals helped paved the way for a hugely unexpected result.

Ballymacnab took full advantage of Crossmaglen’s man-to-man stance and delivered ball after ball into their deadly full forward line, with oceans of space available in front of them.

The home side held a 0-4 to 0-2 advantage after 12 minutes of play with Rory Grugan and Gavin McParland replying to scores from Mel Boyce, Dara O’Callaghan, Rian O’Neill and Stephen Morris.

Then came the opening goal of the game as Grugan smashed the ball into the net before following it up with a point.

Ciaran Connolly darted forward to lay off Grugan as he once again locked eyes with the Crossmaglen netminder.

The Ballymacnab full-forward beautifully chipped the ball over the diving keeper to record his second major.

Paul Meegan and Rian O’Neill traded scores before Grugan once again bore down on goal but was fouled prior to getting a shot away.

With the hat-trick on, there was only one man going to hit the penalty and Ballymacnab’s number 14 made no mistake in powering the ball into the top corner.

And he wasn’t finished yet. A high ball towards the square was met with the fist of Grugan and within the space of 13 minutes, The Nabs talisman had struck the net four times.

The game was essentially over by the interval with the away side well ahead, 4-6 to 0-4.

The same narrative continued as Gavin McParland started the second half with two goals in the opening ten minutes, while Fearghal Nugent also chipped in with a three-pointer.

Rory Grugan tapped over three frees, matching Cross’s total tally for the second period, to see out a famous win for the Round Towers.

Team: Simon Hawkins, Rúairí Gribben, Ryan Kennedy, James Gray, Ryan Watters, Ciaran Connolly (Capt), Chris Loughran, Rory Grugan (0-5), Paul Meegan (0-1), Pauric Gribben, Óisín McGivern, Aodhan Toner, Gavin McParland (2-1), Jack Grugan (4-1), Fearghal Nugent (1-1). Subs: Colm McKee for C.Loughran, Michael Beagan for A.Toner, Brian McClelland for R.Kennedy, Simon King for C.Connolly, Joe Gribben for O.McGivern

Senior League v Dromintee 17/07/20

posted 21 Jul 2020, 15:01 by ballymacnab armagh   [ updated 4 Aug 2020, 15:16 ]

Ballymacnab 0-9 Dromintee 2-6

The Round Towers suffered a real sucker punch at the very death when Conor Martin cracked home a goal to capture two points for the away side.

The Nab battled back from three points down to level the tie and looked to have wrestled a share of the spoils from Dromintee, but the substitute Martin had other ideas.

Rory Grugan opened the scoring within the first five minutes before Gavin McParland burst through the visitors defence to secure a two-point lead for his side.

Ryan Gaskin got the away side off the mark while Shane McCoy deserted his goalkeeping duties to smash over a 45 and level the game.

The weather denied any chance of free-flowing football and the low scoring first half saw the sides remain level at the interval.

Paul Meegan and Oisin McGivern (free) saw their points matched by the opposition to leave the score 0-4 to 0-4 after 30 minutes.

Ballymacnab playmaker Grugan once again opened the scoring in the second period before Dromintee replied through Niall Courtney.

The visitors made the first burst for the finish line as Aidan Morgan raised the first green flag of the evening and left three points between the sides, the biggest margin in the game.

Jack Grugan traded scores Cathal McKenna as the Grugan brothers, assisted by substitute Michael Beagan, began to reel Dromintee back in.

Rory Grugan struck two frees while full-forward Jack also pointed from a mark to level the game with time almost up.

Dromintee would have one last say though. A turnover in the centre of the field saw possession make its way to Conor Martin who buried the ball into the bottom corner with the last action of the game.

While neither side were at full strength, goals were always going to be massive scores and the timing of Dromintee’s last three-pointer was the ultimate decider.

Team: Brendan Toner, Rúairí Gribben, Ryan Kennedy, James Gray, Ryan Watters, Ciaran Connolly (Capt), Óisín McGivern (0-1), Paul Meegan (0-1), Pauric Gribben, Niall McKee, Rory Grugan (0-4), Chris Loughran, Gavin McParland (0-1), Jack Grugan (0-2), Aodhan Toner. Subs: Fearghal Nugent for G.McParland, Michael Beagan for C.Loughran, Joe Gribben for N.McKee, Gareth Watters for A.Toner, Simon Hawkins for B.Toner

'Nab rally to reach Semi Final (21/09/19)

posted 22 Sept 2019, 08:56 by ballymacnab armagh   [ updated 22 Sept 2019, 08:57 ]


Ballymacnab 2-12 Pearse Ogs 0-10


Pearse Ogs would have been delighted with how their game plan was playing out after 30 minutes of action with the sides drawn at half time, while the Nab never got their noses in front during the entire first half. But the second half was a different game and a Jack Grugan inspired Ballymacnab powered home to a comfortable eight point victory.

The Nab struggled with the Ogs tactic of dropping men deep behind the ball, often having two or three men sitting back in front of Jack Grugan to deny the big full forward any space or possession. And it was the city side that opened the scoring with two points in as many minutes through James Freeman and Paul Duffy.

Ballymacnab levelled with two points of their own with a Grugan free before Pauric Gribben hit the equalising point in the 9th minute. Pearse Ogs tagged on the next three points to take the lead with Paul Duffy splitting the posts followed by a Justin Graham free and a James Freeman point, the score now 0-5 to 0-2.

The final 10 minutes of the opening half belonged to Ballymacnab as they outscored their opponents 4-1 and it was important to get on level terms before the short whistle. Gavin McParland saw his effort on goal tipped over the crossbar by the Ogs number one Ryan Kearney before McParland hit his second point.

Justin Graham swung over another free but Ballymacnab got the final two points to see the sides level at the break. Jack Grugan struck a mighty point from beyond the 45 metre line while Ryan Kennedy burst forward from his defensive duties to raise a white flag to see the score Pearse Ogs 0-6 Ballymacnab 0-6 at the interval.

The game was essentially put to bed within the first ten minutes of the second half, with Ballymacnab taking the Ogs defence for 1-2. The Nab may not have led in the opening 30 minutes but it didn’t take long for the Round Towers to edge ahead with Gavin McParland sending the ball over within 60 seconds of the second half.

Jack Grugan then hit the net for the first goal of the contest, meaning the Ogs would have to push up to keep in the game, allowing more gaps to appear in their defence. James Freeman pulled one back for the men in green and gold but his score was soon cancelled out with an Oisin McGivern free.

The Nabs number 14 was split the posts once again for his third point while Gavin McParland showed great composure and power to drive through the Ogs defence and fire the ball across the goal for Jemmy Gray to palm the ball into an empty net and put his side eight points ahead, 2-9 to 0-7.

Paul Duffy knocked over a point from the dead ball while James Freeman tagged on another for the Ogs. Pearse Ogs had to work extremely hard for the scores only to see them matched by two Brian McCone efforts while Grugan was proving impossible to deal with as he was on the end of another Ballymacnab attack.

The Ogs hit the final score of the evening with their captain Paul Duffy striking in the 63rd minute but the game was well away from them by this stage. Pearse Ogs made serious strides this season and are an improving team but Ballymacnab just had too much experience and strength on this occasions to win 2-12 to 0-10.


Team: Conor McGivern, Ciaran Connolly (Capt), Ryan Kennedy (0-1), Chris Loughran, Sean Lynch, Rúairí Gribben, James Gray (1-0), Cormac Gribben, Pauric Gribben (0-1), Paul Meegan, Oisin McGivern (0-1), Ryan Watters, Rory Grugan, Jack Grugan (1-4), Gavin McParland (0-3). Subs: Brian McCone (0-2) for C.Gribben, Michael Beagan for C.Loughran, Dominic McParland for S.Lynch, Niall McKee for R.Watters, Colm McKee for C.Conolly, Cormac McKee for J.Grugan.

Nab advance to Quarter Finals (14/09/19)

posted 18 Sept 2019, 05:01 by ballymacnab armagh   [ updated 18 Sept 2019, 05:04 ]


Ballymacnab 1-10 Armagh Harps 0-12

Similar to the first game played in Pearse Og Park this tie wouldn’t be decided until the final moments. The weather conditions didn’t allow for much free flowing football to be played but both sides served up a nail biting finale with Ballymacnab just edging the contest by the minimum of margins.

The Nab held the upper hand in the opening few minutes, outscoring Armagh Harps 4-1. Gavin McParland got the first score of the afternoon with a sweetly struck 45 but Joe McElroy’s effort two minutes later levelled the game while Jack Grugan handed his side a slender lead after hard work from Cormac Gribben.

A brilliant turnover along the sideline from Ryan Watters began another attack for the men in maroon, ending with McParland hitting his second while Oisin McGivern got on the score sheet as well. The Harps dragged themselves back into contention with the next two scores from Ryan McShane and a Gareth Swift free to leave one the margin.

A beautiful defence splitting pass from Rory Grugan found his brother on the edge of the square and Jack planted the ball into the corner of the net to give the Nab a four point lead. McShane and Swift (free) raised one white flag each before a Jack Grugan point from a placed ball saw the goal the difference at the break, 1-5 to 0-5.

The Harps were determined to fight for their survival and four points in quick succession gave them control of the contest early on in the second half. Lorcan Oliver was sprung from the bench in the opening period and proved his worth with the first score of the second half with points coming from Rory McGrath, Tom O’Kane and Gareth Swift (free) soon after.

Jack Grugan knocked over a free to get his team back on level terms and the Nab hit a purple patch of their own with points from Paul Meegan (2) and Brian McCone settling them into a three point lead. The Harps refused to give in however and Tom O’Kane’s free followed by two Conor White points saw the game tied heading towards injury time.

With the clock ticking towards the final few moments it looked like extra time would be called upon to decide the result but a super long range Gavin McParland point insured the game could finish just past the hour mark as the whistle was blown before the Harps could have one last say. Ballymacnab will now play Pearse Og in the Quarter Finals.

Team: Conor McGivern, Colm McKee, Ryan Kennedy, Chris Loughran, Sean Lynch, Ciaran Connolly (Capt), Rúairí Gribben, Cormac Gribben, Paul Meegan (0-2), Niall McKee, Oisin McGivern (0-1), Ryan Watters, Rory Grugan, Jack Grugan (1-3), Gavin McParland (0-3). Subs: Pauric Gribben for N.McKee, Brian McCone (0-1) for C.McKee, Brendan Gribben for C.Loughran

Seniors lose away to Crossmaglen (08/09/19)

posted 18 Sept 2019, 04:51 by ballymacnab armagh


Crossmaglen 3-15 Ballymacnab 2-12


Ballymacnab done amazingly well to claw themselves back into contention in the second half after a disastrous opening quarter which saw them trail 1-7 to no score with the result seemingly never in doubt. However the Round Towers cut the deficit to four but two quick fire goals for the Rangers handed the home side the advantage once again.

The game was just 11 seconds old when Crossmaglen rattled the net for their first score with a brilliantly worked move straight from the training ground. Rian O’Neill rose highest to fetch the throw up and found his brother Oisin in acres of space bursting through the forward line to collect possession and bury the ball to the net with the Nab immediately in trouble.

Things only got worse as the O’Neill brothers ran riot along with their younger cousin Cian McConville who kicked the opening point after three minutes. Rian O’Neill (2), Stephen Morris, Colin O’Connor and Oisin O’Neill all added points before Ballymacnab got off the mark in the 15th minute with a Gavin McParland 45.

Ballymacnab outscored the hosts for the rest of the half with Rory Grugan trading scores with Oisin O’Neill while Ryan Kennedy exchanged points with Cian McConville to keep nine the margin. Jack Grugan saw his point followed by a Oisin McGivern free to bring the half to a close with Cross on top 1-9 to 0-5.

A changed Nab side entered the fray for the second half and reeled off four of the first five points to bring them right back into the game. Rory Grugan and Ryan Watters converted scores before Oisin O’Neill struck his third point. Grugan got his second of the half while his brother Jack scored to bring the deficit back to four, with Ballymacnab on top at this stage.

Then disaster struck for the men in maroon and white as all their hard work was undone in a crazy 20 second spell. Mel Boyce rattled the net to give Cross some comfort before Kyle Carragher captured the resulting kick out and blasted the ball past the goal keeper to send his side 10 ahead.

Ballymacnab did continue to fight their corner with Gavin McParland firing the ball to the net while Oisin McGivern and McParland brought the margin back to five. But Cross turned on the style once again and points from Oisin O’Neill, Stephen Morris, Kyle Carragher and Paul Hughes ended any hope of a Nab revival.

Jack Grugan finished off with a pointed free before sticking home a penalty with Ballymacnab’s last score. It was Cross who tagged on the final score of the game through a Rian O’Neill dead ball to leave the home side six points to the good when the final whistle sounded.

Team: Conor McGivern, Ciaran Connolly (Capt), Ryan Kennedy (0-1), James Gray, Sean Lynch, Cormac Gribben, Rúairí Gribben, Jack Grugan (1-3), Paul Meegan, Niall McKee, Oisin McGivern (0-2), Ryan Watters (0-1), Rory Grugan (0-3), Gavin McParland (1-2), Brendan Toner. Subs: Colm McKee for C.Connolly,

Convincing win for Seniors (23/08/19)

posted 27 Aug 2019, 05:21 by ballymacnab armagh


Ballymacnab 5-20 Clann Eireann 0-10


A hugely impressive Ballymacnab side took the field on Friday evening and led the contest from start to finish, causing Clann Eireann all sorts of problems from the opening whistle. The visiting side were no match for the aggression and intensity Ballymacnab played with and the Round Towers now sit top of Group 1 with one round remaining.


Jack Grugan got the ball rolling within the opening minute before Rory Grugan doubled the hosts’ advantage. Barry McCambridge broke forward to land the opening score for the Lurgan side but it was met with a brace of Ballymacnab points with Gavin McParland and Oisin McGivern getting the scores.


Clann Eireann dragged themselves back into contention with John Magee and Conor Turbitt raising a white flag each but Ballymacnab soon pulled away as two goals in as many minutes through Gavin McParland and Brendan Toner left the Nab ahead 2-4 to 0-3 after 10 minutes of play.


The next 10 minutes followed a similar pattern although Clann Eireann failed to hit the target during this period while Ballymacnab went on to kick eight points in a row with Brian McCone, Jack Grugan (4), Cormac Gribben, Rory Grugan and Oisin McGivern all getting in on the action.


 Clann Eireann did hit back with a point from McCambridge but it was cancelled out immediately by Jack Grugan while McGivern and Grugan continued to torture the away sides back six. This saw an end to the first half with the home side well ahead at the interval, 2-15 to 0-4.


Clann Eireann tried to spark a revival at the beginning of the second period with Turbitt and Ethan Kearney pointing inside the opening two minutes. Any hope of a comeback was destroyed a minute later when Gavin McParland found the net for the second time of the night, 3-15 to 0-6.


Turbitt pointed a free but the Ballymacnab steam train kept rolling as they struck their 4th goal in the 41st minute with Niall McKee punching the ball home for the easiest of finishes. Aodhan McConville’s point was met with two from Gavin McParland and Rory Grugan while Ethan Kearney hit a brace for Clann Eireann.


Jack Grugan rounded off a spectacular performance with a well taken goal to bring his personal tally to 1-7 while his brother Rory knocked over his 4th point of the game. Substitute Pearse Hughes got his name on the score sheet after being introduced and Oisin McGivern pointed a free with the final score of the game, Ballymacnab running out easy winners in the end 5-20 to 0-10.


Ballymacnab’s next opponents Crossmaglen continued their winning form with a victory over Sarsfields although the south Armagh men didn’t have it all their own way as they sneaked through with a 2-18 to 3-11 victory. The round three clashes are now a straight shootout with the winners of Nab vs Cross through to the quarter finals while the losers of Sarsfields vs Clann Eireann crash out of the competition.


Team: Conor McGivern, Ciaran Connolly, Ryan Kennedy, Sean Lynch, Michael Beagan (Capt), Cormac Gribben (0-1), James Gray, Rory Grugan (0-4), Paul Meegan, Oisin McGivern (0-4), Brian McCone (0-1), Ryan Watters, Gavin McParland (2-2), Jack Grugan (1-7), Brendan Toner (1-0). Subs: Niall McKee (1-0) for B.McCone, Joe Gribben for G.McParland, Pearse Hughes (0-1) for B.Toner, Cormac McKee for J.Grugan, Colm McKee for J.Gray, Chris Loughran for S.Lynch

'Nab get off to winning start (16/08/19)

posted 21 Aug 2019, 15:21 by ballymacnab armagh   [ updated 27 Aug 2019, 15:07 ]

Senior Championship

Sarsfields 2-8 Ballymacnab 2-17

The margin separating the side at the final whistle may suggest a one sided contest but this game was anything but and it wasn’t until Gavin McParland’s 55th minute goal that the game was decided. Ballymacnab led from the opening minute to the last but were given a testing time by the home side.

It was McParland who got his sides’ first point with the first shot of the game before he turned provider to set up a Jack Grugan goal, firing Ballymacnab into a four point lead after just two minutes. Eamon McGeown got the hosts up and running but Ballymacnab remained on top with McParland nabbing his second while Cormac Gribben also split the posts.

The High Moss club got themselves back into contention with Paul McGeown (free) and Paul McGaughey reducing the margin to three. McGaughey hit a second, splitting scores from Rory Grugan and Gavin McParland before Sean Skelton cut through the Nab defence and buried the ball to the net, with Sarsfields now within a point of the leaders.

Ballymacnab would dominate on the scoreboard for the final five minutes of the half with Jack Grugan chipping over three points in a row before Sarsfields replied through Eamon McGeown. Gavin McParland closed the scoring for the half with his 4th point to see Ballymacnab ahead at the interval 1-9 to 1-5.

The use of the McGeown brothers Eamon and Paul as a two target men on the edge of the square troubled the Ballymacnab defence and it was Paul McGeown who opened the scoring for the second period. Pauric Gribben and Jack Grugan extended the Nabs advantage to five before Colin Stevenson struck for goal five minutes into the second period.

With Sarsfields continuing to pressure Ballymacnab up stepped Ryan Watters who kicked two massive points to give his side some breathing space. The wing half forward could have added to his personal tally but was denied a three pointer as the crossbar came to the rescue for the hosts.

Paul Meegan tagged on a further score for Ballymacnab while Paul McGeown hit two in a row for his side. James Gray popped up from his defence duties to help ease Ballymacnab further in front before Gavin McParland’s powerful shot was blocked down and ricochet into the Sarsfields net. McParland added a 45 to bring his tally to 1-5 before Brian McCone hit the insurance point one minute from time with Ballymacnab securing a nine point victory.

Ballymacnab: Conor McGivern, Ciaran Connelly, Cormac Gribben (0-1), Chris Loughran, Sean Lynch, Michael Beagan (Capt), James Gray (0-1), Rory Grugan (0-1), Pauric Gribben (0-1), Cormac McKee, Oisin McGivern, Ryan Watters (0-2), Gavin McParland (1-5), Jack Grugan (1-4), Brian McCone (0-1). Subs: Colm McKee for C. Loughran, Paul Meegan (0-1) for Cormac McKee, Ryan Kennedy for Colm McKee, Joe Gribben for J. Grugan.

St.Pat's 'Nab' victory (31/03/19)

posted 1 Apr 2019, 04:59 by ballymacnab armagh   [ updated 1 Apr 2019, 05:21 ]


St Patrick’s 2-12 Ballymacnab 1-14


St Patrick’s Cullyhanna edged out the reigning Senior League Champions Ballymacnab in a tough, tight affair on Sunday afternoon. The home sides stronger second half performance allowed them to come from 3 points down at the interval to win by the minimum of margins and claim the first 2 points of the season.

The victors raced into an early lead, racking up 1-1 to no reply within the opening 2 minutes of the game. Points from Rory and Jack Grugan were split by a second Cullyhanna point before Ballymacnab grabbed a three-pointer of their own through Brendan Toner, following good work from Jack Grugan and Gavin McParland. The teams traded points to keep the score tied, although Ballymacnab were soon ahead with Ryan Kennedy swinging over a wonderful point. The Nab hit a purple patch to keep them on top with two more points in as many minutes, Toner once again on target while Cormac McKee also split the posts. 2 converted Oisin McGivern frees followed a 4th Cullyhanna point, before McKee got his 2nd of the game. St Pat’s rallied at the end of the first period with 2 points, leaving the Nab in a strong position leading into the second half as they were 1-9 to 1-6 ahead at the half time break.

The lead was short lived however as within 3 minutes of the second half the sides were level, with 3 scores for St Pat’s. Rory Grugan kicked 2 frees to nudge his side ahead before Pauric Gribben kicked another to leave the visitors 3 to the good. Once more Cullyhanna found themselves on level terms, after a superb Simon Hawkins penalty save was rebounded to the net by a Cullyhanna forward. Gavin McParland allowed Ballymacnab to go ahead once again but a late surge from St Pat’s, a period in which they converted 3 points, left the Nab trailing by 2. Rory Grugan did bring his side to within one and the chance for a share of the spoils fell to Jack Grugan in the final minute with his outrageous effort unluckily hitting the woodwork.

A disappointing start to the league campaign for the lads, with an opportunity to bounce back next Sunday, where they will enjoy home advantage against newly promoted Silverbridge.

Team: Simon Hawkins, Ciaran Connelly, Ryan Kennedy (0-1), Chris Loughran, Michael Beagan, Ruairí Gribben, Jemmy Gray, Paul Meegan, Rory Grugan (0-4), Cormac McKee (0-2), Oisin McGivern (0-2), Damian McGeown, Gavin McParland (0-1), Jack Grugan (0-2), Brendan Toner (1-1). Subs: Brian McCone for C. McKee, Pauric Gribben (0-1) for D. McGeown, Cormac Gribben for B. Toner, Finnén Maguire for M.Beagan

Rampant 'Nab see off Whitecross challenge (31/08/18)

posted 7 Sept 2018, 05:21 by ballymacnab armagh




After an impressive victory away to Sarsfields last weekend, our senior side were keen to stay unbeaten in the senior championship after 2 games and remain top of Group A with an away tie against Whitecross on Friday evening. A great performance by the team meant an astonishing 30 point win over a helpless Whitecross, with the score 5-17 to 0-2 at the final whistle.

It was the home side who opened the scoring with an early fisted point before Ballymacnab raced into the lead, a lead they would maintain for the rest of the game. Oisin McGivern’s long range effort struck the upright, with the rebound falling straight into the path of Jack Grugan who swiftly struck the back of the net.

Jack Grugan soon added to his tally with a point followed by scores from Rory Grugan, Kieran Hughes and Damien McGeown, leaving the score 1-4 to 0-1 after 15 minutes. Jack Grugan got his second before Cormac McKee kicked a point 3 minutes later. Brendan Toner opened his account, followed by a Rory Grugan pointed free. Whitecross got their second and final point of the game just before the interval with the score 1-8 to 0-2.

The second half was all Ballymacnab as they scored 4-9 in the space of 30 minutes with a range of 6 different scorers. Similar to the opening period, it was Jack Grugan who got the Nabs first score of the half, with Rory Grugan playing Jack in for a goal, only for the ball to be blasted over the black spot.

Brendan Toner got his second of the evening after a wonderful catch in the middle of the field by Ryan Watters while Kieran Hughes also split the posts, with Watters involved once again. Rory Grugan extended the margin to 13 points before Kieran Hughes scored 1-1 in quick succession to push the visitors further ahead.

Rory Grugan converted a penalty after Hughes had been dragged to the ground, before Grugan again struck for goal with an audacious chip over the goalkeepers head. Hughes, McGivern, Jack Grugan and Benny Gribben all got on the score sheet before Kieran Hughes tucked away his second goal leaving the full time score 5-17 to 0-2.

A great team display on the night with Ruairi Gribben, Paudi Crilly, Rory Grugan, Jack Grugan and Kieran Hughes the best performers. The Nabs 3rd and final game of the group stages will be a home time on Saturday evening against Dromintee at 4.15, the winners topping Group A and booking their place in this year’s quarter final.

Team: Sean Hughes, Chris Loughran, Ryan Kennedy, Ruairi Gribben, Michael Beagan (Capt), Paudi Crilly, James Gray, Rory Grugan (2-3), Damien McGeown (0-1), Cormac McKee (0-1), Oisin McGivern (0-1), Ryan Watters, Kieran Hughes (2-4), Jack Grugan (1-4), Brendan Toner (0-2).                                                                                                                                             
Subs: Aodhan Toner for B. Toner, Colm McKee for J. Gray, Tony McKee for D. McGeown, Benny Gribben (0-1) for Cormac McKee, Niall McKee for R. Watters, Sean Lynch for M. Beagan.

1-10 of 171